RUBS is a Beautiful Thing
RUBS stands for Ration Utility Billing. It requires a support request from AppFolio customer service and requires users to have the correct permissions enabled to allow access. This is the same thing with something like the Financial Diagnostic Report (FDR). Without the correct permissions, you don’t even know that it is there.
I’ve looked into this and it would seem that RUBS isn’t allowed in Idaho because utilities are privately owned. I’ll keep my eyes open and my ears alert to see if I’m mistaken or if the rules that govern this change. If interested, you’ll want to check your state too as you’ll not in the first bullet point listed below. I think this feature has great potential.
If you decide that you’d like to have this feature enabled, you’ll want someone that knows what they’re doing and that can train others as needed. APM Help & Bookkeeping can help with that. Here is a short listing of things that you want to be cognizant of:
* Look at how the leases are written and local (state) laws.
* Remember that AF has to flip the switch for this.
* It’s a great tool as long as it is set up right in the first place.
* The setting is shown on the property
* Fields are pre-determined
* Allocation can be based on a # of occupancy or square feet. Have to look at the total of tenants (hidden/kids) and how state law governs about this.
I pulled a couple of bullet points off of this list because they require a bit more of an in-depth explanation. Feel free to reply to this post and I’ll be happy to answer questions. Of course, there is always the opportunity to contact APM Help & Bookkeeping directly for a free consultation but I’m always happy to chat about these things here too and love to hear your feedback.
Always happy to serve the Property Management Community,